LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-03-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrymp3 View Post
Neither am I trying to struggle to make sense out of insanity, Just having a great time arguing and learning~~~
well, nice talking to you, at least I learnt something new, as a stupid kid~! (and btw, i'm really is a kid, so I can get away with asking inexperienced questions~)
It's not insanity, just cultural identity and racial sensitivity, and there are plenty of non-kids that still struggle with those things.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
sherrymp3 (Offline)
New to JF

10-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It's not insanity, just cultural identity and racial sensitivity, and there are plenty of non-kids that still struggle with those things.
ok~ end of argument~~
Q.E.D.

And may I ask, what do you do? if that's not too personal...
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-03-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
ok~ end of argument~~
Q.E.D.

And may I ask, what do you do? if that's not too personal...
Click on my avatar...it's in my profile.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
sherrymp3 (Offline)
New to JF

10-03-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Click on my avatar...it's in my profile.
cooooooool, media reviewer~ so you are a critic?
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-03-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
cooooooool, media reviewer~ so you are a critic?
I suppose that is another way of saying it.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
sherrymp3 (Offline)
New to JF

... - 10-03-2009, 10:36 PM

... yes... you are a critic
(#17 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
10-05-2009, 03:38 PM

Take the safer route and stick to at least a western accent. As a former drame teacher I think I understand the intent of the exercise, so perhaps these would suffice.

Strong southern drawl
Western US "cowboy" with strong "twag"
Brooklyn (very distinct and frequently used)
German
Swedish

I would have included Spanish or Italian, but unless your are reaaly good its going to blur with French for most listeners.

And since you mentioned English is too common, are you referring to the Queen's English, Cockney, Welsh or Scottish? They vary considerably when done correctly.

To do an accent that you cannot back up visually on stage is a wasted effort, since you will only be cast if you physically fit the role as well as vocally. You mentioned being part Asian, but the issue is the visual image nor the genetics.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
IcewindDude (Offline)
JF Regular

10-05-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
... yes... you are a critic
The most critical person on these forums, no doubt.

Quote:
1) There is no academic value in learning a "Japanese accent"

2) In the US speaking in a "Japanese accent" is a little like putting on black face and speaking in ebonics. It is offensive.

3) You see British actors learning American accents and American actors learning European accents, but in this day and age you do not see American or European actors speaking in Japanese or Chinese accents. Why? Because it would be offensive.

Whether or not accents should only indicate place or origin, when you are talking about an essentially homogeneous society from an island country like Japan it is different and you are getting into racial issues.

2) 3) There is no right way or good way for a non-Japanese to imitate a "Japanese accent". There is no pride in Japan for a "Japanese accent" in English like there is in England for an "English accent". Japanese who try to learn English well try to speak without an Japanese accent, so by using one it is demeaning.
It's hard to begin with how wrong this sounded. What I pretty much heard was, "All you white people can mimic each other and your different accents, but don't mimic another races'." Because there are no other races in those countries with those accents... yeah.

You consistently say that these things are offensive, but you never say why. Also, why would mimicking a western accent not be offensive? This is clearly a double standard with a strong bias. Do you believe that no other language is held with pride by other people besides the Japanese? Why would they not be offended in the same situation? Why would anyone be offended at all? This is not some bad comedy skit mocking a race, it's the recognition of the blending of sounds of separate languages.

To the TC, you can easily find some native Japanese speaker speaking English on youtube or something. The accent is quite often very thick and hard to understand. Also, because they are "essentially homogeneous society from an island country", their accent is not very recognizable. Also, it sounds bad (stuffy, blended, completely missing some sounds) to the western ear due to the limited sounds from Japanese as well as the lack of exposure to westerners. For this reason, I'd go for a more accepted accent like German, Spanish, ect. which are far more recognizable and still have the diverse sounds of English.

Last edited by IcewindDude : 10-05-2009 at 06:19 PM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-05-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewindDude View Post
The most critical person on these forums, no doubt.
IcewindDude, I must have done something to offend you, because now it feels like you are following me around and just picking apart my posts.

Quote:
It's hard to begin with how wrong this sounded. What I pretty much heard was, "All you white people can mimic each other and your different accents, but don't mimic another races'." Because there are no other races in those countries with those accents... yeah.
That's not what I said at all, but it is clear you are not reading my posts without some agenda.

Quote:
You consistently say that these things are offensive, but you never say why.
I did explain why a non-Japanese doing a "Japanese accent" would be offensive to Japanese.

Quote:
Also, why would mimicking a western accent not be offensive? This is clearly a double standard with a strong bias.
I am saying there are some accents she could get away with and some she couldn't. Yes, that is a double standard. If she did a cowboy accent it would be fine, but a Japanese accent would be offensive. It's not my standard though, it's the way it is.

Quote:
Do you believe that no other language is held with pride by other people besides the Japanese? Why would they not be offended in the same situation? Why would anyone be offended at all? This is not some bad comedy skit mocking a race, it's the recognition of the blending of sounds of separate languages.
Are you serious? Like I said before, there is no right way to do a Japanese accent that wouldn't be offensive. I said nothing about "no other language" and there are probably hundreds of cultures that would be offended if a non-native took their "accent" and imitated it on stage. What makes Japanese even worse though is there is a history of racism specifically against the Japanese in America, and a history of mocking in movies and cartoons, especially during wartime. When you choose a historically oppressed people as the target of attention (the Japanese), take an aspect of the culture that has been used to oppress (their accent) and showcase it on stage, that is offensive.

Quote:
To the TC, you can easily find some native Japanese speaker speaking English on youtube or something. The accent is quite often very thick and hard to understand. Also, because they are "essentially homogeneous society from an island country", their accent is not very recognizable. Also, it sounds bad (stuffy, blended, completely missing some sounds) to the western ear due to the limited sounds from Japanese as well as the lack of exposure to westerners. For this reason, I'd go for a more accepted accent like German, Spanish, ect. which are far more recognizable and still have the diverse sounds of English.
Dude, if you can comfortably write those bolded sentences it's no wonder you don't understand what I am talking about.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

10-05-2009, 08:22 PM

Have any of you guys seen Meet Joe Black with Brad Pitt? If so, do you know if it was Brad Pitt himself that done the Jamaican (as far as I can remember, correct me if I'm wrong) accent?