(#24 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-28-2006, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okimoto_Tatsuki View Post
wow that sucks. One should understand life is not layed out on a yellow brick road, that gives you an easy path to where you wish to be or want to have. and cool female XD

Is there any like technique as to learning japanese? Anything in particular you need to learn first? (this was a questionfrom my friend)
To answer your questions -

I never really studied. When I first got here, I could tell people the very basics - my name, whether I was hungry or thirsty, ask where the toilet was, etc. And I knew the simplest sentence patterns so that I could pull words from a dictionary and stick them in to be understood.
As for any technique... I just tried my very best to communicate with those around me, especially the woman I was staying with. She was wonderful, and is like my Japanese mother now. I also tried my very best to understand what everyone was saying through the words I knew and their body language.

The things that I would suggest learning first would be the basic grammar patterns, without much focus on vocabulary. It`s MUCH easier to add words later via personal experience than it is to add grammar. You can always point at something and have somebody tell you what it`s called, or look it up in the dictionary, but you can`t do that for a whole sentence. No matter how many words you know in Japanese, if you don`t know how to put them together to make a coherent sentence no one will have a clue what you`re trying to say.

So... Study grammar! Forget most of the vocabulary until you know enough basic sentence types and are confident enough with them to really be able to *use* those words.