View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-10-2015, 12:57 PM

Japan is a strange place, mostly in good ways, but a few bad ones as well. In regards to your car, understand that it will have to pass a full inspection once it arrives in Japan. Car inspections are serious here, even dents, bad paint, or holes in the seats are grounds for failure. The mechanical inspection is also very serious. If your car is up wnd running 100%, you can import it, but if it isn't, well, you get the idea. Your car must undergo this inspection every two years. Also keep in mind that there is an annual road tax charged according to engine size. My car has a 6 liter engine, the tax is about $1000 per year. You need to prove you have parking for your car in order to get a plate for it. My apartment building here in the Chuo ward in Tokyo charges $600 per month for parking. Don't ask what my rent is.

Getting married in Japan is quite easy, you just need an affidavit from your embassy stating that you are not married to someone else in Australia. Getting married takes less than an hour at the city office, the cost, if I remember right, is only a few thousand yen.

But getting a spouse visa is a different matter. Your wife will have to show that she earns enough money to support you, the minimum income would be 200,000 yen per month. If her income is not sufficient, her family can act as guarantors for you (provided their income is sufficient). The cost for a spouse visa is 4000 to 8000 yen, if I remember right. You will have to undergo an interview, bring letters, post cards, and photos, these should have dates on them so as to show that your relationship has gone on for some time, and you are not marrying just to get a visa.

Buying a house in Japan is not easy, unless you are paying cash. Banks do not loan money to newly-arrived foreigners. To qualify for a mortgage you need permanent residency, a full-time job, and an income sufficient to make your payments. Personally, I would not buy a home in Japan. Unlike other countries, real estate in Japan does not appreciate. You will never sell a home or condominium for what you paid for it, the only advantage to buying is that current low rates mean that most mortgage payments are cheaper than paying rent.

Renting will usually require a large move-in cost, equal to 4 or 5 months rent. This applies to the metro areas. In the countryside there are so many vacant homes that you might be able to move into a decent home for free. Don't be afraid to negotiate. Even in central Tokyo I was able to negotiate a lower rent and deposits for my new office.

Don't knock teaching English. Teaching English pays about 3 million yen per year in Japan. 3 million yen does not go far in Tokyo, but in the countryside it will put you in the top 10% of income earners. Out on the islands you can rent a house for 10,000 yen per month, and you can get a very nice house for 50,000 yen per month. In the Metro areas 50,000 yen will get you a 12 square meter "apartment" (cubbyhole), and you will probably still be at least 45 minutes by train from the city center.

Let me know if you have other questions.