(#343 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-01-2007, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
Now you can come to Japan with a tourist visa and then be granted a work visa after getting a job.
Do they still make you leave the country these days to change visas? I know that was the norm back in the 90s, but I wonder if they`ve changed it. (And as it doesn`t apply to me, I don`t feel like hunting down the answer.)

Back in the day, before I was married, I came to Japan *twice* on one way tickets, and was never asked to present my return ticket. It was when I was living with my boyfriend-now-husband here. He was going to visit the US with me so we wanted to get the tickets together for one of them, and the other was when I came and actually got married. I`d spent the holidays with family in the US.

They never asked about, or to see my return ticket... Although I imagine things could be significantly different these days.

Some jobs in Japan DO require you have a degree, regardless of visa. I found this out when I was working on my degree and wanted some part time work - without a degree or some sort of proof of qualification, they refused to hire. I believe the government has been picky about that sort of thing recently - if they are advertising for someone with a degree they may stick to that even if you have a valid visa.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.