Thread: Calligraphy
View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kitski (Offline)
Kakkoi

06-02-2007, 09:35 AM

Shuku / Iwai: Shuku / Iwai is the Japanese kanji symbol of meaning "Congratulations". The kanji symbol of "Congratulation" is used in all happy events, such as Marriage, childbirth, a birthday, entrance, graduation, victory, etc.

Gi is the Japanese kanji symbol of meaning "Justice and Honor". There are the kanji idioms which are using Gi, such as Seigi (justice), DouGi (morality), Gimu (liability) and Giri (obligation). Condensation of these meanings is Gi, and Gi is the typical kanji symbol which expresses the mind respecting the moral sense and justice as human beings. Gi is indispensable in social life and we must not forget it. Particularly this kanji befits people who interested in the martial art of Japan, like Karate.

Makoto is the Japanese kanji symbol of meaning "Good faith and Sincerity". The typical kanji idioms using Makoto are Seijitsu (sincerity), Seii (good faith) and ChuSei (loyalty). The four-character kanji idiom of Seishin-Seii (wholeheartedly) is often used. Makoto is Kun-yomi (native Japanese reading) and Sei is On-yomi (phonetic reading). Thus, Makoto expresses the noble mind without falsehood and betrayal.

addition to YUME:
Yume is the only Japanese kanji symbol of meaning "Dream". There are the kanji idioms which are using Yume, such as Muchu (ecstasy), Mugen (fantasy), Musou (dream) and MasaYume (prophetic dream), etc. Yume is Kun-yomi (native Japanese reading) and Mu is On-yomi (Chinese reading). Yume means not only a dream which has while sleeping but an aspiration and a wish. Yume is used symbolizing the thing which we wish to accomplish in the future.

Ai is the Japanese kanji symbol of meaning "Love". There are several Kanji symbols meaning "love". In them, Ai is the most typical kanji symbol expressing love. There are many Kanji idioms which are using Ai, such as RenAi (romance), NetsuAi (ardent love), Aijou (affection), Aijin (lover) and Aikokushin (patriotism), etc. Not only the love to the family, friends, and a sweetheart but the love to all creation is expressed.

Sei / Shizuka is the Japanese kanji symbol of meaning "Tranquility and Serenity". Sei / Shizuka expresses not only physical silence but the peace of mind. The expert of Japanese martial art says, "The mind is always tranquil in the midst of fighting". And Buddhists sit in Zen meditation to train oneself for the tranquil mind. Thus, the kanji symbol of Sei / Shizuka expresses the peace of mind and the state of mind which rid oneself of all worldly thoughts.

information from:Shodou: Japanese Shodou

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.-- Albert Camus

Last edited by kitski : 06-02-2007 at 09:40 AM.