View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kawaiineko (Offline)
JF Regular

06-12-2007, 09:12 PM

That's a personal issue that is between you and the person you're romantically involved with. You set boundaries based upon what the other person is comfortable with. If you love them, you won't do something that makes them feel uncomfortable. Even if the idea is appealing to you, you have to keep your partner in mind and what he/she likes and doesn't like.

It doesn't really have anything to do with what I'm talking about. I'm asking how bad sexism and prejudice is in Japan, because these will both be real issues for me. This is because one I'm a female and traditionally Japanese men do view the female as the inferior gender.

Two I'm a foreigner and they have a fear of foreigners
which I believe is probably where the prejudice against them stems from (that and in the past they have had bad experiences with people from other
cultures). I'm wondering how true this is or this just stereotyped. Granted I know it will vary from person to person in Japan. I don't like people thinking one gender is more superior then the other. It leaves the other gender with hurt feelings, makes them feel inferior, and just having that belief is extremely controlling behavior.

Yes I know that doesn't change the reality of the way things really are. However it makes it really frustrating when there is this stereotype against women that we're somehow less capable and/or inferior as a human being simply because of our gender. I mean how many times have you seen a white, American male viewed as inferior? I know life isn't fair but that really provides little solace for the people who have to struggle with this stereotype because it affects them in a very real way. Guys are better with some things than women are and vise versa. That doesn't make either gender inferior; it just makes them different. It doesn't make either gender "weaker" it's just some characteristics are more prominent in the male gender and other characteristics are more prominent in the female gender.