View Single Post
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-13-2007, 07:07 PM

I don`t like editing my posts, as it leaves a lot open to complaint later...
So I am posting a second message in reply to the additions to Kawaiineko`s previous post. (I guess I wrote the first message while the edit was taking place.)

Quote:
If you're going to say Japan is a utopia, I seriously doubt it. Sadly there is no place like that on earth. Every culture in the world is going to be doing something that is unethical in some
shape or form. There isn't a culture in the world who thinks that women aren't the inferior gender. People always seem to think a male is perfect, stronger, better simply because of their gender which is wrong. They have weaknesses and flaws too. For people to look down on women (or men) because of their gender is wrong. For people to look down on somebody because if their race is wrong; none of these practices are ethical; it makes the group feel inferior as a human being.
I have never, and never will say Japan is a utopia. I live here, I know better than that. However, I will defend complaints about Japan that are not really truthful.

You are right about people often thinking that females rank below men in most cultures. The problem is *practice* and how much that actually comes into play in modern life. If you go back so far with any culture, and you`re going to hit that sort of thing. But it is incredibly unfair to assume that because at some point in the past certain values were prevalent, that they are STILL the same in the present. That is the case with Japan - As with ANY culture, that sort of thinking was quite strong... in the past. Your question, I assume, is about the present - correct? Yes, I`m sure there are men out there who think that way... But they are not the majority. In *modern* Japanese culture, there really is no strong discrimination against women. There are, however, things that will LOOK that way to western eyes. This is what I was talking when I quoted myself. In general, the western woman wants to have a career, wants to be independent, etc etc. In general, the Japanese woman does not. Even with those choices available to her - as they are in this modern day and age - most women choose to follow a traditional path. This really has nothing to do with men`s opinions, or a glass ceiling. Instead, it`s choice.

As for race - well, I think that most everyone has made it clear that Japanese are NOT afraid of foreigners. When it comes to employment, I really think Hatredcopter worded it best - After all, what is the advantage of hiring someone from abroad when there are plenty of qualified Japanese wanting the job? I imagine if you can reliably do all the same work as a Japanese employee, are fully qualified, and don`t bring any extra work to the company... They would treat you exactly the same as they treat any other employee. I have friends who are wonderful examples of this.
It`s not race as much as it is not being able to actually do the same work, on the same level as a Japanese person applying for the job... Or requiring a lot of work from the company side (visas, etc.) Unless there is an advantage to hiring you over someone else, you`re probably not going to get the job.

Special treatment based on your race is another form of racism - even if it is in your favor.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.