View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

06-19-2007, 04:05 AM

Excellent Q/A from the old thread. Enjoy.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maku
I just went on Nova, and was reading about the holiday time it provides. It says it gives you 10 paid holidays. Does that mean 10 days off for the year?
This means that you are given 10 days you can ask to receive as holidays. You will get some national holidays off and they should be paid for as well. There will be most likely other holidays that are unpaid around like the New Year holiday.

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, okay, thanks.
Will it be 5, 6 or 7 days a week?
I know you can have the flexible employment, but if you don't choose to do that, how many days will you have to work per week?
By law, Japanese companies can only require workers to work for six days a week. At most schools five days is the normal work week for English teachers. The only ones doing six days are usually ALT's at private schools where the kids are in school for six days a week and those who choose to find extra work or put in overtime.

Quote:
Quote:
Do companies like that usually provide accommodation like NOVA do?
Most if not all companies will set up your housing when you are first coming over. Sometimes you move into the place of the teacher you are replacing. I think Nova was the only one though that sets you up with roommates which could be good or bad.

Quote:
Quote:
I'll get researching soon then.
How old are the kids that you teach?
Yochien (kindergarten) are either three to five or four to six (No ALT)
Shogakou (elementary) are six to twelve
Chugakou (Junior High) are twelve to fifteen
Koutougakou (High School) are fifteen to eighteen (public HS rarely hires non-JET ALT's, some hire only teachers with a master's degree in TESL, private schools are the best paid non-JET ALT's)
Daigakou (college) are eighteen to twenty-one (No ALT, master's required, cushiest job in all of Japan)

Last edited by jasonbvr : 01-29-2008 at 12:39 AM.