View Single Post
(#382 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-20-2007, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Note that on the graph, it states that 69% finish high school rather than that same percentage entering college. Which for most Japanese is enough education to make a successful life for themselves.
Actually, the graph says a 95% graduation rate.

The 69% (As I understand from the Japanese page) isn`t the rate of entry into university - it`s the rate of graduation from programs that prepare you for university but *aren`t* normal high school. For example, vocational schools with a university prep program, etc.
Either way, these figures really mean very little as they are just the figure of graduation for high school students. In other words, it gives absolutely no info as to the percentage of students who actually go on to high school from junior high.

As high school in Japan is NOT mandatory, you cannot assume that 100% entered high school. I`m not at home now - using the extremely old PC at the in-laws`so I can`t really hunt down that figure.

I would say that in general, most Japanese DO go to high school, and that an overwhelming majority also go on to university.

And now on to some other questions....
Quote:
I would like to ask. Do you regret moving to Japan? Is it good there? Was it hard to find an apartment? How big was the rent? Did you study there? Is it how hard for an foreigner to entry into a high school?
I too, come from a bad family.Actually my dad kicked me out few weeks ago. I think I'll study jr.high school here somehow, but then I will go as an exchange student to somewhere... Just to change my current life for few years. Then I would like to move to Japan. (:
No, I do not regret moving here at all, in any way whatsoever. Obviously, I`m quite happy with the atmosphere here.
As for an apartment - I think I posted this somewhere back in the thread, but I have never lived alone and currently OWN a home. First I lived with a host family, then in a dorm, then with another host family, then with a friend and then with my boyfriend who later became my husband. We have paid between 50,000 and 100,000 yen a month for rent. Now we make a 120,000 yen loan payment each month.
I guess I technically studied here, as I was a "GAP" student at a high school - but it wasn`t any sort of formal study of Japanese. I just basically say around in the classes I wanted and helped out the teachers at other times.

I personally think it will be a bit different to get a proper visa to just simply come to Japan to go to high school. Although I sort of doubt that you would have to go through any of the tests like a normal student. However, without a lot of money it`s going to be really hard to be an exchange student....

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.