View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

06-24-2007, 03:37 AM

1. Would you support the claim that the traditional Japanese diet is the world’s healthiest?
From what I have had, Japanese meals are relatively low in vegetables and fruits. Now the fact that they eat a lot of fish, that could have something to do with it since it is better than say eating a lot of red meat. Also it may have something to do with rice based diets because rice is very filling but lower in calories than potatoes. As you may know, the more energy (food) you put into your body will accelerate oxidation (aging, basically your body is rusting).

2. Which do you think weighs more heavily in this issue: the Japanese food itself, or the eating habits of the Japanese people?
I am assuming you are refering to the fact that Japanese hardly have time to eat. One habit that may have something to do with it is that snacks are relatively small. When I was in the US, I used to eat three meals and two snacks, but I was doing a lot of weight training. Here I eat two to three meals and rarely snack in between.

3. Could you please identify for me the staple foods in the Japanese diet?
Rice, fish, miso soup, tsukemono (pickled vegetables), and bread.

4. How does the food in American Japanese restaurants differ from traditional Japanese home-style cooking?
If you are talking about a hibachi grill, there is no such thing in Japan. I lived near Charlotte, NC and out of maybe 40 Japanese style restaurants there was only one that my Japanese friends said served real Japanese food. The sushi is completely different too in that in Japan they are less creative with the rolls.

5. What are the typical elements of a Japanese breakfast?
Rice, fish, and miso soup.

6. What are the health impacts of a breakfast like this every day?
Lower cholesterol and fat than say bacon and eggs, lower carbs than something like pancakes.

I'll get to the rest later. Have to meet someone for lunch. I'm thinking a kaiten sushi sounds good.