View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
shianchester (Offline)
New to JF

Hiroshi Hiraoka Biography Image - New Photos discovered of Him - 02-15-2017, 05:44 PM

I am researching two photos of Hiroshi Hiraoka from his time in America. These were given by Hiroshi to a family he was staying with in 1871 and 1874. These two photos show him at age 14 1/2 in native Japanese dress when he first arrived and at age 17 1/2 in a western suit.

I have only been able to find two other photos of him online on several sites - one as a boy and one as a elderly man. I am interested in finding the original source of him as a boy as this photo would have been taken at a time between the two photos I have.

The Japanese language biography available at the link below shows what the original image looked like on its front cover. Its a Carte De Viste image consisting of a photo image mounted to a thicker paper board. These were essentially 1870s business cards - it is same type of photo as the two I have.

Does anyone have a copy of this book from Japan?

If so, I wanting to know if the book publisher discloses what is source of the original image on the cover is as I'd like to contact the owner or museum that has the original as it will help to reconstruct a timeline of Hiroshi's events in America.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/4094052410...7048997&sr=8-1

I tried contacting the publisher but they did not answer. I do not speak or read Japanese.