Questions about family members vocab -
04-07-2017, 05:08 PM
Hi guys, I'm learning about family vocabulary right now and I have a few areas where I'm not so sure on. I know most of the time you'd refer to a lot of these by their names but I just want to be clear on what their titles are.
I just want to know if my understanding is all correct. Are the following statements correct?
1. When you talk to your granddaughter/grandson, you say, "omagomusumesan"/"omagosan" respectively.
2. When you talk about your granddaughter/grandson to someone else, you say, "magomusume"/"mago" respectively.
3. When you talk to your great-grandmother/great-grandfather, you say, "hiiobaasan"/"hiiojiisan" respectively.
4. When you talk about your great-grandmother/great-grandfather to someone else, you say, "soosobo"/"hiijiji" respectively.
5. When you talk to your great-aunt/great-uncle, you say, "idaina-obasan"/"ooojisan" respectively.
6. When you talk about your great-aunt/great uncle to someone else, you say, "idaina-oba"/"oooji" respectively.
7. When you talk to your great-niece/great-nephew, you say, "idaina-meisan"/"idaina-oisan" respectively.
8. When you are good friends with a married couple, you can refer to the husband as, "danasan".
9. When you talk to your mother-in-law/father-in-law, you say, "shuutomesan"/"shuutosan" respectively. [Or is it giri no okaasan/otousan?]
10. When you talk about your grandparents as a single noun to someone else, you say, "sofubo".
11. When you talk to your grandparents, is there a single noun? As in, if "go ryoushin" is for parents, what is it for grandparents?
12. What is the correct use for the word "oya" (parent)? Something like, "watashi wa oya desu"?
13. When you talk to your step-mother/step-father, you say, "mama-okaasan"/"mama-otousan" respectively (or just drop the "mama"?).
14. When you talk about your step-mother/step-father to someone else, you say, "mama-haha"/"mama-chichi" respectively.
Last edited by FCB5RM0neverforget : 04-07-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Reason: Fixed up wording & added more questions