View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
07-22-2017, 02:12 PM

In English, all the people use "I" to indicate oneself.

Then, Kings, thieves, innocent little girls call themselves as "I".

It is their culture to use just "I" without adding any other meaning.

In Japanese, we have many ways to indicate oneself to express the stance against the listener.

"WATASHI" is most standard form to indicate oneself without adding no information not rude and not too polite. Male/ female and young/agedm, all type of person can use this. I recommend Japanese learner to use "WATASHI" for "I" when you visit Japan.

"WATAKUSHI" sounds like "WATASHI" but more formal.

"ATASHI" is used by girls sometimes unconsciously used instead of "WATASHI". When a girl uses "ATASHI" on purpose, she is a kind of dangerous girl.

"ATAI" is also shortened form of "WATASHI" and used by girls who are dangerous and sometimes painful. Do not try to be friend with a girl who call herself "ATAI".

"BOKU" is used mostly by very young people or children expressing "I'm not at higher position than you".

"ORE" is used only by adult male. It is kind of rude word and he express implicitly "I do not mind if I'm rude or not". With very close friend, Japanese males will use "ORE" each other. The relation of "ORE TO OMAE:I and you" is a sign of close friends.

"WASHI" is usually used by old men expressing "respect me".

Do these help?

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.