View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-10-2017, 11:39 PM

If you want to get ahead in life, you must always slow down and think. When making a choice, you need to think about the potential benefits or consequences of that choice.

I used to work in law enforcement, and have seen young people rob a store using a gun to steal $50. At the least, they are risking 20 years in prison, at the worst, they are risking their lives. They could earn $50 working a single shift at McDonald's, but that never seems to occur to them.

Your life right now is the result of all the choices you have made up until this point. If you want a successful or at least a decent life, you need to think about what such a life would be like, and make the day-to-day choices which will take you there.

When I was young, I did a lot of stupid things. Sometimes I was caught, usually I wasn't. But I learned that you never get away with doing bad things, and even if you don't get caught, fate has a way of punishing you in other ways.

If adjudication was withheld on your first misdemeanor, then it technically does not exist. If the second one didn't result in a jail sentence, then it can be overlooked. You might still be able to get your record expunged, you should talk to an attorney to find out. Even if the court says no, you can always try to contact the state representative in your district (local state senator), and ask them if they can help. They have written "acts" which grant one-time exceptions or allowances for problems like yours. These guys work for you, and you should be able to make an appointment with one of them.

Good luck, and congrats on your proposal. Enjoy your trip to Japan, be careful, or you may end up liking it so much that you move here, as I did.