Thread: Living in Japan
View Single Post
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Pete

Sure - 10-23-2006, 03:04 AM

Salmonella from RAW eggs? Sure it is possible, but food standards seem somewhat higher in Japan than (I'm going to guess you are from the UK). Aslo I think the whole Edwina Curry egg thing got blown way out of proportion. People drop raw and 1/2 raw eggs all over the place here with no apparent ill effect.

Subway lines under the imperial palace? Well, who know what's under there or how deep it goes? I'm sure environmentally there would be a preference not to tunnel under them as well. Handy - maybe but it isn't that big of a diversion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
Yo!

Been in Japan a while, but it was two very neccessary questions that finally caused me to raise my head to the area of public noticeboards. I am hoping that as a Japanese living in Tokyo, you could answer these critical issues. Here we go!
No 1. I am one of the foreigners who has taken a liking to natto. I would like to know if there is a danger of salmonella (food poisoning) from eating tamago-natto, i.e. one bowl of rice, one raw egg and one portion of natto. I say this since in school we were told never to eat raw eggs or even raw cake-mix since there would be the danger of salmonella.
No 2. Why is it that there are absolutely no subway lines that run underneath the Imperial Palace. I can't see why there would be great underground obstructions, for example sewer pipes or service entrances, that would prevent a subway, and looking at a network map, it sure would be convenient. So why has no-one built a subway under the palace?

Yours Sincerely
Andy Ballard