View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
Tips, rules, and etiquette - 07-31-2007, 03:28 PM

i posted this stuff on another thread, but felt like this would be useful information for all.

These are jus some tips, rules, and etiquette for japan.

i will add more later im very tired now and cant think.

but this is all stuff from my personal experience of 8 trips to japan and living here 3 months at a time

1: you dont tip
cept some bars
gratuity is included in bill, hence why tokyo is so frigen expensive when you eat out.

2: do not put your chop sticks in your rice sticking up *example stabbing your food and leaving it there to rest*

3: dont slam taxi doors, they open AND shut for you
walk to your left

4: if your on a escalator you stand on the left and walk on the right

5: be polite let elderly, disable, and pregnant have seats on trains

6: if you see vending machines try not to eat and walk
its not a RULE or any thing but its polite to drink or eat while at the machine
thats why they have trash cans there and thats why the drinks are so tiny most of the time and the portions are small.
they dont have trashcans around japan unless its near a vending machine

7: DONOT throw trash into bike baskets

8: if your hailing a taxi and some one is in front of you waiting. dont be a d bag and walk in front of them and take a taxi

9: dont start a fight, they can put you in jail with no questions asked for a very long time.
if you fight with a japanese person, cops will always take their side over you

10: drugs are super no no... i prolly dont have to tell you but, the punishment is very harsh here.

11: if any one offers you a massag on the street, they are a prostitute/hooker, you'll see this alot in roppongi at night

12: try avoid using Shi and useing Yon instead for some things.
just bad luck to use shi, *its word for death*

13: if you go out to buy electronics and stuff at duty free places, bring your passport you will not have to pay taxes

14: alot of people read stuff about Gaijin Smash and gaijin powers, basically saying since you are a Gaijin you can do what you want and not get in trouble for it. dont do any thing like cut in line or just generally jerk moves b.c. you read on outpost nine about this "gaijin Smash" nonsense.
be polite and enjoy the customs

15: when you get use to the train system take a picture of the English Subway line maps, you will see how much it cost to get to certain areas so you dont have to do fair adjustments which is a pain.
also you'l have it on your camera and you can zoom in and know where the transfer spots are.

16: DO NOT just take random pictures of japanese people. i know my japanese friends hate this. They are girls and they hate when Gaijins come and take snapshots of them with out permission or ask them to pose with them.

its pretty pathetic.

cosplayers like the attention so thats okay, but dont go up to any person and just start snapping away, its very rude.

17. do not ask for bootlegged games/ movies in stores
IE system hacks, and things like m3 and r4 for the ds.
Game stores HATE when people ask for these types of things.
trust me i know from experience =P

18. when eating out or buying things, please wait for your change, even if its just 1 yen.

they WILL run after you to give it to you.

its also polite to place the money on the table or plate they present to you instead of their hand. *was told this by my friends mom*

19: if you dont know japanese, please attempt to speak a little.
its just polite, and at least your ATTEMPTING to speak japanese. instad of jus barking orders in another language.

20: pour your friends drinks when you are having Saki or beer or somthing, its just polite.

21.if you cant figure a word out in japanese jus say it like a japanese person would, example Ice Cream - ASUKUREMU
it works very well

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan