View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
08-05-2007, 06:22 AM

yea i know a lot of it is common sense but people have this thing of forgetting about common sense when they are traveling to another country.

so any ways with that said, here are some more tips

this time around im gona generalize into sections

22. When given a business card or a personal contact card, hold it with both hands and look at both sides. Take 5 seconds to look at it before you shove it in your pocket or wallet.
It is extremely rude to just take a card and put it right in your pocket.
Exchanging cards is a big deal in Japan.

Grab the card with BOTH hands and do a slight bow.
theres more to it if you are in business but if you want that info jus pm me

*im not talking about random flyers and things of that nature*

23. more on chop sticks-
1. dont point with them
2. dont wave them around
3. also if you already used your chopsticks or put them in your mouth, please use the OTHER end of the chop stick to move or pass around food.

24. NAMES
i know a lot of people read mangas and watch anime.
do NOT go around calling people Chan, Sama, kun, or any thing like that unless u know how to use it.
* san: (for example Sato-san)
This is the most neutral and famous title, and can be used in most situations. Only in formal situations, san may not be polite enough.

* sama: (for example Sato-sama)
This is a more polite form of san, commonly used in formal situations and letters, but too polite in a casual context.

* kun: (for example Yusuke-kun)
This is an informal title used for boys and men that are younger than yourself.

* chan: (for example Megumi-chan)
This is an informal title used for young children and very close friends or family members.

* sensei: (for example Sato-sensei)
This is a title used for teachers, doctors and other people with a higher education and from whom you receive a service or instructions.

so big no no to go around calling people you just met Chan or Kun. Esp if they are older then you.

25. Some table manners
1. Saying Itadakimasu and Gochisosama
Itadakimasu is what you say b4 you eat ( i gratefully receive)
Gochisosama *deshita* (thank you for the meal)

2. In some countries it is bad manners to empty your plate to the last grain of rice, and in others it is good manners.

In Japan it is considered GOOD manners to empty your plate to the last grain of rice. So be sure to only order enough food you know you can finish.

3. Once again in Other countries such as Vietnam its acceptable to burp after a good meal, this is not so in Japan, please keep that in mind.

4. Eating Rice
Basicly pick up bowl with your hand with chopsticks in the other and lift it towards your mouth while eating.

Okay this may sound stupid i know, but I see a lot of people trying to clamp and lift rice into their mouths.
I come from a asian family so this is just common sense, but its not to others.
I find it funny to see some one struggling with like 5 grains of rice by trying to pick them all up individually when you can just bring the bowl to your face.

5. DO NOT pour soy sauce on WHITE RICE.

SUSHI!!!!!!!
Okay i looooove sushi so heres the Sushi section

1. In Japan wasabi is already added onto the sushi
if you do not want it on there, then ask the chef not to put wasabi on it.

2. If you LIKE wasabi then its okay to add a *little* bit into your soysauce dish.
too much and you will offend the Sushi Chef.
Very important for people sitting at the bar or at rotating sushi bar where the chef is right in front of you.

3. Sushi is to be eaten in ONE BITE, any more and you'll destroy the beauty of it.

4. When dipping Sushi into Soysauce you dip the FISH section in first.
DO NOT dunk it in the soy sauce.... it ruins it.

so i repeat you dip the FISH part into the soy sauce.... not the rice
i see this all time, people dip the rice part in and it gets soggy and falls apart, next thing you know, your fishing rice bits out of your soy sauce and tryin to salvage the sushi.

5. It is OKAY to eat sushi with your hands!
i do it all the time, when my friends come to visit me in Japan they get all paranoid about being proper and they suck at using chop sticks. Believe me its okay to eat sushi with your hands.

Try keeping it to your thumbs and pointer finger... no need to Hulk grip the sushi... thats jus ridiculous.

6. Some sushi is not ment to be eaten with Soy sauce, such as Unagi *eel* and few nigiri sushi. basicly any kind of sushi that is already marinated.

7. Some sushi like Gunkan *rice wrapped in sea weed with Caviar on top* its better to pour a tiny bit of soy sauce on top rather then to dip it.

8. Sashimi, if you like wasabi its better to take a lil bit and put it under the fish rather then putting it on top.

9. Miso soup- you'll notice that miso is not served with Spoons in japan. You drink it right out of the cup and the pieces of food are eaten with the Chop sticks.

10. ginger- a lot of people don't like ginger and leave it alone. its meant to cleanse your mouth for the next piece of sushi. learn to enjoy it and the flavors of the raw fish.

11. Oshibori (wet towels)
.... they are for your hands... not your face... or your arm pits... or any thing else... HANDS

26. TEMPLES!
1. Okay so you wana visit some temples.
heres a no brainer... be respectful

2. dont smoke

3. dont be loud

4. you can make a prayer in front of the sacred object and throw a coin into the offering box

5. If you want to light incense, buy a bundle light it and let it burn for a few seconds, and put them out by waving your hands rather then blowing them out.

6. if you go to a temple which requires you to remove your shoes, make sure you have nice socks on, dont go in barefeet or with nasty crap all over your feet.

7. Photography outside is permitted
but it is NOT inside, check for signs

8. its a sign of impurity if you go to a Temple or Shrine when you are sick or have open wounds.

9. At the purification fountain near the shrine's entrance, take a provided ladle, fill it with fresh water and rinse both hands. Then transfer some water into your cupped hand, rinse your mouth and spit the water beside the fountain. You are not supposed to transfer the water directly from the ladle into your mouth nor to swallow the water. You will notice that quite a few visitors skip the mouth rinsing part or the purification ritual altogether.

At the offering hall, throw a coin into the offering box, bow deeply twice, clap your hands twice, bow deeply once more and pray for a few seconds. If there is some type of gong, use it before praying in order to get the kami's attention.

Thats all for now.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan

Last edited by Housetek : 08-05-2007 at 05:45 PM.