View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
08-06-2007, 07:16 PM

heres a question i got thru pm which ill answer and share

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenit
U could talk a bit about money issues, like how much to take in money were to change money, visa, pickpockets, and things like that. If u wish to of course
Thanks

1. Where to change money, i found a spot in Shinjuku, Roppongi hills, and Shibuya.

Shinjuku i cant remember, sorry i was walking a lot that day, and got a lil lost.
Shibuya, is left of the biggest screen, you walk down that street you'll see a money exchange place, its a lil glass window in a wall.
Roppongi Hills you'll see signs for a citibank which exchanges money.
I heard also some banks will do it also, but many times you'll need a card to get in the front door.

Generally you will want to exchange money at the airport. You'll see BIG signs for it and its right across where you will buy tickets for the skyliner to get to Tokyo from the airport.

I usualy keep a few hundred dollars on me.
and some emergency money at my apartment.

I keep the bulk of my money on my ATM I have a Wachovia card.
Master card and Visa are the BEST cards to take to Tokyo.

Right now the exchange rate is 120 yen for 1 us dollar, check google or yahoo for prices in your currency.

Visa issues, most countries will allow you a 90 day tourist visa on your passport.

In the States i did not have to apply for any thing, i had my passport and i was fine for 90 days.

Other countries such as canada and im not sure exactly what others * i never really looked into it* are allowed Holiday work visas. Usualy a 6 month visa to find work. This you have to apply for and takes around 2 months to be processed.

Unfortunately people in the states are ineligible for holiday visas.

Student Visas are given to people who are planning to go to school in japan.

Temple japan and Sophia are the 2 most common schools. Relatively easy to get in.

On a student visa you are allowed to work 20 hours max a week.

in order to get a WORK visa you must be sponsored by a company.

and its not a easy thing to get unless your teaching English.

I've never had any problems with pickpockets or any thing getting stolen in Tokyo.
I've left my bag in places and arcades many times, come back and its always in the same place.

I actually left my bag full of video games and electronics at arcade and went to dinner once and came back and got it when i realized i forgot it.

Crime is low in Tokyo and its a safe place to visit.

hope that answered your question

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan