Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-08-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kireikoori View Post
Oh Jesus Christ. Not again.

O.K. WTF?
Japanese people often have quite huge eyes. Natually. Methinks you watch too much anime and have completely avoided all other Japanese media. This statement freaked me out so much I was like...is this even worth commenting on?
Mixed Japanese don't even seem to have bigger eyes than the average Japanese. I guess if the the Japanese parent was one of the single eyelid ones then the kids probably would have double eyelids if mixed. But guess what? Japan is filled with big eyed double eyelid people. Single eyelids are far far more common in China.
Somthing to consider is that many asians have surgery on there eyes (a very popular phenominon in asaia) I dont think slanted/single eyelids are more or less comon in any specific country. I dont think large eyes in anime are suposed to look western, they are just suposed to represent inocents.

Quote:
About the hair. Black isn't the only hair color Asians can have naturally. Sometimes it's brown. Naturally.
Secondly. Yeah, and Pink hair is real natural for Westerners!
Yea I agree, alot of anime characters have pink, blue, red, purple hair, no one has hair like that.

Quote:
And also, sometimes the characters are set in Europe! Like Hellsing! So wouldn't "European" features make sense? There are just as many characters in anime with "Eastern" features as well.
To me anime walks the line between Western, Eastern and Alien in features. That you can't tell which it is. And I like that.
Some anime is set in europe but its more often set in Japan. Name me 5 set in europe and I will name you 50 set in Japan. There are many characters in anime with easter features, and alot with western features, they dont look like alians to me, but thats just because Im used to the style (if I wasnt used to it and saw it for the first time I might think they looked like alians. Anyway, as I was saying, even though many anime characters do have eastern features, almost all of them have white skin (thats the part I dont get).

Quote:
Oh, and anime is made by Japanese people for Japanese people. In the early days of anime people had to struggle to get anime. It took a long time for it to actually become available in American stores. And if it weren't for those underground fans proclaiming how much they wanted it all the time it would never be available on tv, in stores, catalogues or elsewhere. Japan never intended to market anime outside of Japan.
Thats absolutly true. I think people forget that the only reason anime excists in the US is because there was alot of demand for it. Not because Japanese tried to market it to us.