View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-26-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboydave View Post
Would you happen to use an instant messenger of some sort MMM? I use MSN primarily -reason I ask is, I have a few more questions I'd like to ask you in chat if that's not a problem.

I was wondeing, besides teaching, is their any sort of other job opportunities in Japan for a foreignor? What if I want to move to Japan and find a career to stay with for several years other then teaching? From what I've been reading all over the web, teaching is not what people say it's like. Are their any jobs involving a trade a foreignor could get once he or she is fluent in Japanese? Anything at all besides teaching?

Teaching wouldn't be bad for getting a "foot in the door" in the Japanese environment, with a much bigger advantage to learn Japanese from total immersion. However, I don't see myself teaching English for the rest of my life. I'd like to know if their are any other opportunities available to a foreignor who's determined to make it in Japanese society once a foreignor is fluent in both reading and writing Japanese. I'm not expecting to land a top paying executive job but anything other then teaching. Something like a job where I'm more involved with other Japanese, speaking Japanese.
I don't really do the IM thing, but feel free to ask here or to PM me.

Besides teaching, legitimate job oppurtunities are limited. Your best bet is going to find an American company with an office in Japan or a Japanese company that had offices outside of Japan.

Your best option is probably to marry a Japanese citizen who doesn't want to move to America. In that case you would have legal residency, and would not be forced to find a visa sponsor in a Japanese company. Visa sponsorship is as big a hassle there as it is in the US, and that's why companies that only REALLY need to have it (like foreign language schools) do it.