View Single Post
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-26-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboydave View Post
From what you've said, I take it that basically, in order to work in Japan as a foreignor, you must have a visa, which is sponsored by the company you're working for, and pretty much only foreign language schools are dedicated to sponsoring these visas? And being married to a Japanese citizen would eliminate having to have a visa sponsored since you'd no longer need a visa to work?

I guess that would mean the best option for getting around visa sponsorship would be to meet a Japanese woman and marry while you're in Japan teaching English. Is this realistic? Personally, I intend to marry a Japanese woman anyway when I move to Japan but how realistic is it expecting this?

What if I keep getting renewals for foreign language schools until I reach year 5 and apply/get permanent residency in Japan? (Assuming I'm very lucky and actually am granted permanent residency). Would I then no longer be considered a foreignor and no longer need a visa period? Would this then open my options for getting a job with any Japanese company within Japan I'd meet the educational requirements for? I know their would still be discrimination issues but I'd imagine it would still be easier to get a job if you didn't need a visa.

You are getting into territory I am not so familiar with. I was not aware that 5 years gets you permanent residency. If that is possible, then, yes, not having to sponsor your visa would open up the job market to you 1000%. If you plan on living in Japan, then finding a wife in Japan is far from impossible. Especially in this day and age, we are seeing more and more international marriages, and without sounding snarky, if their daughter is going to marry a foreigner, many dads would prefer one from America or Europe. That is a sweeping generalizatation, but my father-in-law proudly takes me golfing with his business buddies when I am there, and I doubt that would happen if I was from Pakistan or SE Asia.