View Single Post
(#13 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

Amendments and corrections - 01-15-2007, 03:24 AM

I basically typed all that stuff in one day and didn't read over it until today. I will add a little bit of info I feel that I missed last week.

Money- All those estimates are in yen unless it says dollars. I hope I didn't give anyone the impression you could make 250,000 USD a month.

Owning a car- The most expensive thing is the shaken. Jetsetjapan.com has a very good section, but I will summarize. When you buy a car, ask when the next shaken is. It will usually costs a thousand dollars more or less. I knew a guy who's shaken cost him more than the actual car. Car tax is in between three and five hundred USD. Lastly, tolls will add up (twenty bucks or so, one-way) just like the 4 dollar a gallon gasolin.

The JET Programme- website, The JET Programme--Official Homepage of The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme (It's interesting that the ministry of education aims to teach American English but spells everything like they're from the UK) The hiring process is nearly a year long which I think I was incorrect about in saying it was six months. Have a look though, even if you want to go private. It will give you an idea of what they look for in ALT's.

Vacation and holidays- JET's get twenty days paid vacation and I think national holidays are paid for too. Some schools do not ask their teachers to work in August when the kids are out, but some do like mine have you there everyday. The kids will be here, just not in class. August is looking like football with the kids, but I digress. Privates will get whatever they sign for on their contract. If they are not promising you paid leave, ask if you can get ten days at the least. Say something like, "Well, I would really like to accept the position at your school but another company is offering me ten days of paid leave. Are you flexible on no paid leave in my contract?" Most likely they will give you the days because the school board is paying them when you take leave and they simply pocket the money. School holidays are different than national holidays, usually school holidays are not paid for. For example, we had four days of holiday for the New Year but only one was paid holiday.

Anyways, I look forward to your questions and welcoming you all to Japan.

Last edited by jasonbvr : 01-18-2007 at 01:10 PM.