View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-17-2007, 09:25 AM

Japan is a country, just like any other country in the world. There are good things and there are bad things. There are kind people and there are rude people. I seriously doubt there is any country in the world that everything is perfect in.

One particular thing I don`t like about the way Gloobey worded things is that he said it in a way that bashes Japanese *culture*. Cultures are different the world over - No culture is *right* or *wrong*. It`s just the way that society has developed. To interpret cultural differences as rude or insincere is, to put it frankly, racist. You`re saying that YOUR way of doing things is superior, and that you`re doing it right... Anything other than that is wrong.

The biggest thing I dislike about Japan is having to encounter westerners who think they know everything, and interpret it all as racism or discrimination to suit their own views.

I personally live in a fairly large metropolitan area, and have lived in the countryside... And I have NEVER encountered anything I would consider racism. A few people have looked at me strangely, but when you walk into a tiny family-run shop in the middle of the mountains and look drastically different from everyone else, I think it`s a bit to be expected. Oh, and I have been asked a few times if I could speak Japanese.

If people are avoiding so much as sitting near you on the train.... Maybe there is more of a problem with you than your race. I`ve never been treated any differently than any other person on trains and buses. Or maybe you haven`t noticed that most everyone avoids sitting next to anyone if they don`t have to...

As for other "bad" stuff... The idiotic amount of money spent on building new roads that really have no meaning each year. And the lack of connection those in the government have with reality. (The White Collar Exemption reducing overtime!? You`ve got to be kidding...) As a driver, I hate taxis. They`ll literally run right into you to get ahead.