View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Stacmon (Offline)
New to JF

Best place to live in Japan - 09-30-2007, 02:05 PM

Hello everyone. I'm strongly considering going to Japan through the JET program but need help choosing a place to live. I know that the odds are I will not get my preferred placement, but nevertheless, I thought it would be worthwhile to pick a good area just in case .

At first, I had little preference and looked more at issues such as cost of living. I heard that aside from rent, many products have the same prices throughout Japan.

Now, I'm considering the following cities:

Tokyo
Sapporo (Hokkaido)
Kyoto
Osaka
Fukuoka
Nagoya
Yokohama

Personally, I prefer large cities with well developed public transit systems. I would also prefer a lower cost of living, although if the difference isn't severe, or there are ways to save money (within reason), I wouldn't be bothered.

I also like large, cosmopolitan cities but would not be against living in a city with little foreign influence (so as to better develop my Japanese). However, I am a very disciplined person and have immersed myself in the local culture abroad (ie: in Germany) even when surrounded by English.

I welcome anyone either suggesting why I should pick a city on that list or why I should NOT pick a city on that list. Also, if there is another city that I have not yet thought of that you would like to suggest, please feel free to propose it!

It would be a dream to be in Tokyo but can anyone comment on how much more expensive it is relative to the other cities? I plan to live a fairly modest lifestyle there (won't be going out to bars or restaurants too often). Is the difference only in terms of housing expenses or also in the cost of consumables (food, hygiene products, etc.), clothing and other items.

Lastly and also very important:

Where is the best place to learn the "cleanest," most standardized version of Japanese, including the grammar, vocabulary and accent?

Thank you to anyone that provides me with help coming to this decision. I appreciate the insight and would be happy to answer any questions you may have about either Canada or Germany!