View Single Post
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Stacmon (Offline)
New to JF

10-04-2007, 04:14 PM

For some reason, I'm really liking Sapporo/Hokkaido. There are some advantages but also some disadvantages.

I've heard that the dialect spoken there, because many of the people are immigrants from various parts of Japan, is among the closest in the country to standard Japanese.

I've also read that the cost of living there is quite reasonable compared to other parts of the country. There are pictures of the city overshadowed by the nearby mountains and it looks so nice!

Unfortunately, because the city and island were populated mostly starting in 1850, I'm worried that it shows of very little of "classical" or "traditional" Japan. I've also heard that Sapporo incorporates many Western concepts (ie: just look at the city planning), so I'm worried about whether or not I'll get the "authentic experience."

There's also it's remote nature. I'd be far away from the rest of Japan, making it harder to travel and more expensive.

Does anyone have any comments about Sapporo or regarding to my views above about the city?