(#102 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-20-2007, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Hi Nyororin. I have been looking around a bit lately, and it looks like if I come over I will probarly be living in Kyoto, Osaka or Nagoya (I'm a bit weary of Tokyo). I want to study Japanese for 2 years, and if I am fluent enough, I want to do a degree in Japanese.
Can you give me more info about studying Japanese at a university or which universities offer Japanese courses to foreigners?
How much does it cost to do a Japanese course at a university?
And lastly, I will be coming over on a student visa, so what kind of part-time work will I be able to do?
Well, if you`re not fluent enough to study normally after 2 years... There is something seriously wrong.

Really though, 2 years is way more than enough if you`re living in Japan. If not... Well... a 3 month course in Japan is probably close to 2 years of normal "Japanese classes" elsewhere.

If you were fluent enough (ie. JLPT 1) then the university itself doesn`t really matter. You`d be studying as a regular student and not really as a "foreigner". Most universities accept international students, but the bigger the university the more common it is.

Just to list a few in my immediate vicinity that have English pages:
Meijo University
Nagoya University
Nanzan University
Nagoya Institute of Technology
Nagoya City University

There are tons more, these are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. Most places will accept you if you know enough Japanese, even if they don`t have a big official international program - You just have to ask.

As for cost, that really depends completely upon the university itself. It ranges anywhere from really cheap to ungodly expensive.

On a student visa, you`re generally allowed 20 hours of work a week - with sponsor/school approval. Basically you`re free to work anywhere as long as it doesn`t interfere with your schooling.
Part time English teaching in the evenings is probably best in terms of money, but I`ve known people who`ve done all sorts of jobs. If your Japanese level is high enough to take a regular university course, then you shouldn`t have too much trouble.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.