View Single Post
(#45 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-27-2007, 08:52 AM

Let's slow down just a minute.

I think Chachava is being a little dramatic in saying Japanese "judge him to be evil" and as "someone who should be avoided at all costs". Considering that he is dating his interpretor, this is far from a universal opinion.

99.9% of Japanese do not think people like Chachava is "evil" and nor do they think he should be "avoided at all costs".

I have spent years in Japan, and, collectively, several months in Tokyo. Tokyoites are like people in any gigantic city. They avoid confrontation because it is thrown at them constantly. This is not true for all of Japan, but the giant metropolis of Tokyo (like London or New York) has it's own culture.

This culture also has tens of thousands of foreigners that are a part of it, that have been a part of it for decades, and aren't going anywhere. Maybe hundreds of thousands. In 2007 being a foreigner in Tokyo is no big deal, and that's what actually frustrates some people now. They AREN'T being treated like a movie star like it's 1987. It's 2007, and they are used to you now.

I am not saying Chachava is wanting movie-star status, I am saying I think the words he chose shouldn't be taken literally.