View Single Post
(#45 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-23-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Fair enough. I have one question though. I understand the people being important, but how does the food come into this? is the food that different between Osaka and Tokyo? In what way are they different?
In Tokyo, people will brag how expensive thier clothes are. In Osaka they brag about the bargains they find. With that in mind, I find that buying food, and eating out is a better value in Kansai, in general. Okonomiyaki and takoyaki are delicious. You got Kobe beef real close, too (and less expensive than in Tokyo...though still very expensive). Naturally both areas have many ethnic restaurants. I found there is a large Indian population in Kobe, and there are some of the best Indian food restuarants I have ever eaten at there, though my favorite is probably Pina Kanna in Umeda, Osaka. Going to an izakaya in Osaka, I felt like the patrons are more picky, and more likely to complain, so the chefs are more careful about what they serve. I never really saw Tokyoites complain about stuff in restarurants there, but they will in Osaka. Could be totally random observations with no connection...