View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
seaghyn (Offline)
Spaceward

Send a message via AIM to seaghyn
Help on some info for Japan - 12-02-2007, 11:04 PM

Hey all, I was wondering a few things about Japan, so I'll ask them, but let me throw a little back ground about me to you as well.

~I will be leaving around January 4th to head to Japan, in Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan. I will be attending ARC Academy to begin learning Japanese, to prepare me to gain entrance into a University for Engineering. I will be staying at a dorm from Sakura House, and will live there for about three months, before returning to the states to work three months, then heading back for an entire year of Japanese Language, where I will hopefully be able to gain entrance to a University, as well as understand concepts regarding principles in physics and calculus, in Japanese.

Questions I had are below, and any help would be kool.

1. Arriving at Narita International Airport, what is the best way to get to the place one has arranged to stay at? Train, Taxi, Bus?

2. Once at my accommodation, and starting my language learning, I will "probably" need food. (you now how it is =p) For this, I could eat out/ shop at a store and cook the food myself. At the moment however, my Japanese is very limited, and I am not sure how I would purchase food or a meal from a store/restaurant in Shinjuku if my Japanese wasn't good enough. Any advice or tips? Maybe a place that would be geared more towards foreigners until my Japanese was better?

3. I wear glasses, so if they broke while in Japan, what would I do to get them fixed? (example: the lens falls out and I can't get it back in, or i bend the frame by sitting on it, etc) An Eye doctor? Would they be able to speak English, or have a rough idea of what I meant by me speaking the little Japanese I know now?

4. Is it better to walk around Shinjuku, or take a subway/train/bus around Shinjuku?

I guess that's about all the questions I have atm =). Thx for you patientce in listening to my question rants and stuff, as well as any advice you could give.

/~.~\ Seaghyn