(#508 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-16-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsume View Post
Thats a little harder than you might think. I live in one of the countrys with the stupidest friggan' citizenship policy! If your born in the borders or marry a current citizen you can become a citizen but if you want to leave they automaticly think your dodging taxes and continue to tax you for another 10 years! Oooh it steams me up but thats ok they can't tie me up in red tape forever!
Umm... No, it`s NOT that hard.
All you have to do is go to the US embassy in Japan, and tell them that you want to give us US citizenship as part of the requirements to retain Japanese citizenship. If you are of sound mind, and present identification, etc... It is NOT a problem.

If, however, you were doing it for reasons related to tax evasion, and suddenly come into piles of money just after giving up citizenship - it`s going to be quite suspicious. They don`t automatically think you`re dodging taxes unless they have reason to think so. And if you were living in Japan, you`d have to have be making QUITE a lot in order to need to pay taxes to begin with. There is a foreign tax credit exemption.

Either way though, I can`t possibly imagine why you would NEED to be a citizen. It makes no sense at all... All you need is a visa that allows you to live in the country long term - which is why you would need a degree.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.