View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
12-24-2007, 06:20 AM

Meh, "Eastern" as oppose to "Western". Since I'm a n00b, I've never really spotted any difference between, say, Chinese and Japanese calligraphy--other than how they hold the brush, of course. If I had to specify one, though, I'd say that I'm more interested in Japanese calligraphy.

Since I don't exactly have $200, I wasn't planning on getting such a brush. Rather, is there any kind of a regular paintbrush that is more or less of the same functionality as a traditional calligraphy brush? Or, more specifically, what are the essential properties of a calligraphy brush, as opposed to a regular paintbrush (for a canvas piece, not for the side of your house). Just knowing what is needed in a cal. brush would make finding a cheap alternative easy, if indeed there is no such thing as a "cheap calligraphy brush".

And paper... for two dollars a sheet, they'd best be about four feet long! >_<
But, if it is the case that paper is also expensive, what makes a good alternative? I imagine heavy construction paper would be good because the ink wouldn't bleed through.... Mer, I know so little.