View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kunitokotachi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-28-2007, 07:00 AM

We just had this problem at the university that I work and attend. Every year in the fall Japanese students come to my university to "study English intensively" from August to December. Actually, a lot of them really only come to hang out in America. Anyway, I've been helping the Japanese students out every year and I've been getting the same response from each group. They always laugh at "otaku." It was really interesting this year because a friend of mine is the President of the Anime Club at the university and he wanted me to be a translator because he invited the Japanese students to the club meeting. Once the Japanese students found out that these 20 plus members were into anime they stopped hanging out with them and talking to them. I remember one of the Japanese girls asked me, "Do they seriously sit around here and watch animations?" Now, there are some Japanese "otaku" too mind you. Basically, "otaku" are kind of seen as nerds, wierd individuals, childish, etc. It appears that when Japanese people (a lot of times) hit a certain age they stop watching animations, etc. The best analogy I can use is comparing it to someone here in America at age 18 or older still passionately watching "Barney," "Sesame Street," "Dora the Explorer," "Lazy Town," etc. It was the same when I lived in Japan too. Obsession with anime doesn't go over too well. A few of my Japanese friends may sign up on this forum and they will able to explain how they few in greater detail and feeling.

宣告されてから弁論しても手遅れである。