View Single Post
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

12-28-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunitokotachi View Post
We just had this problem at the university that I work and attend. Every year in the fall Japanese students come to my university to "study English intensively" from August to December. Actually, a lot of them really only come to hang out in America. Anyway, I've been helping the Japanese students out every year and I've been getting the same response from each group. They always laugh at "otaku." It was really interesting this year because a friend of mine is the President of the Anime Club at the university and he wanted me to be a translator because he invited the Japanese students to the club meeting. Once the Japanese students found out that these 20 plus members were into anime they stopped hanging out with them and talking to them. I remember one of the Japanese girls asked me, "Do they seriously sit around here and watch animations?" Now, there are some Japanese "otaku" too mind you. Basically, "otaku" are kind of seen as nerds, wierd individuals, childish, etc. I
Good lord, you just described what goes on around my campus every year...

Every semester we get about a half dozen Japanese exchange students. And every semester the anime club jumps all over them like a pack of wild dogs fighting over a hunk of meat. Maybe thats a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea. It's almost difficult to watch. . .

郷に入っては郷に従え