View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-11-2008, 03:27 AM

I've stated this before in another thread on the same topic. I had encountered a little xenophobia/racism in my 2 years there, most importantly when I was trying to find a new apartment. Even with my school supervisor with me, no one would rent to a foreigner even when they've got a 10' long sign on the wall proclaiming "apartment for rent!"

Another time was when I walked into Dogo Onsen... all the heads turned and the talking stopped... all eyes were on me intently, wondering if I knew the proper onsen etiquette. I did, and followed it, and soon the talking began again and the guys relaxed, and one even talked to me for quite a while about how I was enjoying Japan, etc.

But the VAST number of times I was greeted warmly, with kindness and generosity FAR outnumbered those few instances. The list is endless, from 6 homestays, to spending holidays and festivals with Japanese friends, a local woman teaching me Japanese once a week, a tour guide group showing me around, the local restaurant trading my Japanese pickles (which I never ate) for pieces of fruit like apples or even watermelon (which probably cost more than the rest of the meal), to a guy giving me a ride to the bike shop when I had a flat tire on my bike and haggling with the bike shop owner to lower his price to fix my tire, to innumerable gifts, help, advice, dinners, etc.

So don't stress over a few jerks or some fear of foreigners... every country has some of that. Focus on the many other kind-hearted people there.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan