View Single Post
(#26 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

01-16-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Yes, I lived in Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi to be exact. If you take the Nankai-Koya line south from Namba station in Osaka, you'd arrive in Hashimoto in 50 minutes... it's the last decent sized city (55,000) before the train begins climbing Mt Koya. It is right up in the very northeastern corner of Wakayama-ken, 1o minutes south of Osaka-fu and 5 minutes west of Gojo City in Nara-ken.

By the way, if you've never been to Koya-san, you really should go, it is a beautiful and historical place. It has the oldest and most famous cemetery in all of Japan, and it has 103 Buddhist temples on top of the mountain (you can actually sleep overnight in some of them, which I did!) Kobo Daishi, the Buddhist monk who invented Hiragana, lived on Koya-san, and one of the major Japanese sects of Buddhism is based there. If you like the temples in Kyoto, I think you'll love seeing the cemetery and temples on Koya-san.

By the way, I won't be making it to Kyoto this year... as my signature says, I was in Japan on the JET Program from 1996-98... I've been back in the US for 10 years now, though I still fondly remember and cherish my 2 years in Japan. I'd love to go back for a visit again someday. The 1996 date stamp on the Osaka photos I posted weren't an error, that's actually when I was there!
oh I though you are still in wakayama right now ..

no ive not been to koya-san yet.. been meaning to for a couple of times. they have this one day ticket to wakayama for 2000yen every year , hopefully i can get one this year

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------