View Single Post
(#40 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-20-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Oh, she knows that not all black people are like that. We were just talking about the stereotypes in general, and she was going on to say how it's easy for blacks to be stereotyped in such a way because of what's shown in the media over there and the lacks of blacks there in a general sense. She even said that over there, seems that most people expect the black women to all look like Beyonce. We were both laughing at that. I'm far from looking like Beyonce, like most black women, not that I'd complain if I did. lol

It's like how Asians are stereotyped as being highly intelligent and smart when it comes to their academics. It's a nice stereotype, but I'm sure someone who lives in an area where he/she rarely encounters Asians will have this preconceived notion. It's even an on running joke when it comes to Asians being smart. Another stereotype is that all Asians know marital arts. Very unrealistic, but the same thing can apply since most of our media consists of Asians in a role where they're doing some type of a martial art or using that skill. The most well-known Asians we have exposure to here in the states are Martial Artists. Some people probably think if they go to Asia, they'll find a bunch of ninjas and samurais walking around. That's how the conversation was, for the most part. We weren't agreeing with the stereotypes, just talking about how easy it is for one to believe in some of these.
I see.. it's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Maybe so, but the fact that she wants to "suppress genes" had me thinking that she might have an issue with being black too. As for the American part, and the bad school thing, as I said before, that's what parents are for. If parents take an active role in their child's life, education especially, then the child will more than likely do well in school, or make education a priority. It was in my household. My mother was always on me to do the best that I could in school. I wasn't the best student (average to above average at most), but I did find school important...although, I did slack in 11th grade. For once in my life, the school work was just too overwhelming for me..that was also the last year I bothered with honors or advanced classes...'cept for Gov't in 12th

Exactly, it's the whole nature versus nurture thing. While it is true that some people get a genetic head start in terms of intelligence, athletic ability etc. The fact is that nurture is a LOT more important.

And before the OP misunderstands and believes that this genetic headstart correlates with race, she should know that in fact race has NO genetic basis. Overall, there is as much genetic variation between races as there is within a particular race. The only genes she can really "suppress" with any conscious effort are ones governing physical appearance. And if indeed she believes that Asians are "better looking" than Africans then that proves that she needs counselling.