View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-26-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post
The images are very impressive! Your photos definitely give those ancient structures the credit they deserve! You really captured the majesty. ^_^

I have a few questions though. Maybe you can answer them:

In the 6th picture of Matsumoto Castle, there is a statue of a fish on a rooftop. Do you have any idea why so many Japanese castles have fish-looking statues on the roof? I see them all in time, in feudal Japan games, or in animated movies. Now I see them in real life as well.

Do these fish statues act as a ward of a different kind?

Also, are both these castles from the same Era? What time were they used? The samurai armor you see in the cases, were those warn by castle guards?

I'd more then like to see some Temple photographs. Your shots are amazing!

PS. Himeji Castle does look impressive! It appears to have Golden tint to it.
The fish statues are supposed to ward away evil and misfortune, especially fire (being water creatures, they are naturally opposed to fire). Since Japanese castles are built mostly of wood, fire was always a danger to them, unlike mostly stone castles in Europe.

Here are the wikipedia pages for the 2 castles:
Matsumoto Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Himeji Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
According to them, these (along with Kumamoto Castle) are considered the 3 best castles in Japan. (You'll find that the Japanese love to name the "3 best..." whatevers). Matsumoto Castle dates from 1593 and Himeji Castle from 1601, though a castle had been on the site since 1331 that was badly damaged and then rebuilt and greatly expanded to its current size. So the current castles are from the same period.

The armor was worn by local guard captains and lords. I believe the ones in these pictures were much fancier than the typical guard would wear.

The trim had a somewhat golden tint, enhanced by the sunlight reflecting off the white walls... it almost made the castle seem to glow in the right light.

I'll put up some Nara temple pictures today.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan