View Single Post
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

01-27-2008, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
a country road and shrine near Takayama (upper rt)

Wow! That Shrine near Takayama, looks really beautiful. I just love how there are so many shrines scattered around Japanese forest roads. Did the people do this so travelers/merchants could pray for a safe journey?

Do you have anymore images like that one? Of shrines and little water/pray sites of the beaten path?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
The fish statues are supposed to ward away evil and misfortune, especially fire (being water creatures, they are naturally opposed to fire). Since Japanese castles are built mostly of wood, fire was always a danger to them, unlike mostly stone castles in Europe.

According to them, these (along with Kumamoto Castle) are considered the 3 best castles in Japan. (You'll find that the Japanese love to name the "3 best..." whatevers). Matsumoto Castle dates from 1593 and Himeji Castle from 1601, though a castle had been on the site since 1331 that was badly damaged and then rebuilt and greatly expanded to its current size. So the current castles are from the same period.

The armor was worn by local guard captains and lords. I believe the ones in these pictures were much fancier than the typical guard would wear.

The trim had a somewhat golden tint, enhanced by the sunlight reflecting off the white walls... it almost made the castle seem to glow in the right light.

I'll put up some Nara temple pictures today.
That's a neat way to symbolize what the statues were made for. To ward off fire? That's interesting. I have always loved the mind-set behind Japanese architecture. It really shows you how much they believe in spirits and guardians. It's amazing how much time and energy they devoted to their Gods/Spirits.

So the castle Lords wore that armor? That's what I like about Japan more then other countries. The Lords and Emperors were warriors themselves. Unlike most European countries. The Lords in Europe, most of them didn't do battle, so they were always being overthrown since they were weak.

That castle with the Golden tint, must look amazing in the right light.