View Single Post
(#29 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-14-2008, 05:19 PM

We're not trying to shatter her dream or scare her off. She, and all the others with a dream, should work toward it and try to make it happen. But I think a teenager is old enough to hear a bit of reality too, and the uber-genki w/ smilies kinds of posters just sound to me like no one has ever given them that dose of reality.

Ok, forget the sensationalist crimes (which are relatively rare in Japan anyway), just the ordinary fact of living in a foreign country can be difficult. Reading a newspaper, listening to TV or movies, having deep, meaningful conversations with people can be hard or impossible due to the language barrier. There are also many cultural differences to get used to, and a different work environment than many western countries. You will always stand out as a gaijin, which has many positive effects (you can be treated like a mini-celebrity at times), but some negatives too (you may feel like an outsider, Japanese constantly assume you don't know anything, etc). You'll get homesick for friends and family back home, no matter how much fun you have in Japan, or how many new friends you make. I made lots of new friends, and I had an incredible time over there, but I missed my parents, my brother, my best friends since 3rd grade, etc. And when you do return home for a visit or whatever, your friends and family can never really understand all the things you experienced and felt living in a very foreign country, halfway around the world.

Again, this ISN'T meant to scare anyone off. Far from it. I went to Japan to live and work for 2 years, and I can honestly say it was the most incredible time of my life (and I say that with 10 years of perspective being back in the US). It was a life-changing experience, and one that I cherish so strongly, I still talk about it on Japan Forums and the JET forum to this day. I encourage people to go to Japan if that is their dream, but do it with open eyes. Living and working in Japan will not all be super-happy-fun time, and knowing that ahead of time will help you to weather the culture shock, the homesickness, and the hard times.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan