View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-07-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post

Firstly, what is the best way of me keeping my money in Japan? I'm aware credit cards aren't widely accepted (at least not as widely as in the west), but I don't really want to walk around Japan with 200,000円 cash in my pocket. Are traveller's cheques or other methods advisable?

Secondly,there are some attractions that you have to book tickets for from your home country, such as the Studio Ghibli museum. Why is this? And what other kind of attractions may I have to do this for?

Lastly, this may be a bit of a longshot.. but my friend and I really want to see a sumo match during our stay, but I've heard it's off-season so there are no matches. I'm aware it would be difficult to get tickets, I'm just wondering if there are small amateur competitions or something we could see instead. Where could I find out about this?

Thanks very much everyone, this information will really help me with my trip.
Cheers!
People in Japan typically carry much more cash than at least we do in the US. 200,000 yen actually isn't atypical in a wallet, but I understand your feelings, totally. A VISA or MASTERCARD is your best bet, pretty widely used. I wouldn't recommend Traveller's Cheques, except for maybe Disneyland and the most touristy places. Usually you have to exchange traveller's cheques for cash at offices in the top floors of departments stores. It's a real hassle, to be honest.

I have never heard of being forced to book tickets in your home country. I have been to at least a few museums in Japan and I have never been turned away.

At about 20,000 yen a ticket for sumo, I'd pass on it. I have never heard of non-pro tickets, but maybe someone else does. I'm going next week, so I'd love to hear about it.