Thread: snowboardng
View Single Post
(#12 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

03-12-2008, 04:11 AM

What up, riding in Japan is really good. Compared to the States, most places are a lot cheaper. Places in Hokkaido like Niseko and Hirafu are supposedly great for powder riding (I've yet to go), but the mountains in Hokkaido have a lower elevation than say Niigata, Nagano and some in Gunma. The same is true for the northern most parts of Honshu (the main island), lower elevation and also lower maximum slope angles. Of course you can still find some steeps off piste but the best steep groomers can be found in the Hakuba area.

Asking which is better, States or Japan, I would say the States as long as you are in CO, UT, OR, WA, etcetera. If we are talking about the ice coast, Japan wins big time. The best thing about riding in Japan is the cost of lift tickets. For 70 bucks you could do two days of riding at Naeba and Kagura whereas that would only get you one day at a comparable resort State-side.

If you are just doing a trip only for riding, I would go straight to Hokkaido. If you are wanting to see more than the white stuff, go to Niigata or Nagano since you can hit more places on the mainland for cheaper. If you are going to live in Japan, that is a tough decision. I've opted to stay in the Kanto area and ride Niigata.