View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

03-12-2008, 10:46 PM

i'll help you out:

1. I don't really think of it as the enemy point of you, because for Germans, Italians, Japanese etc watching US made war films about WW2 are always portraying the 'enemy' as their own country. I just see it as a perspective from one side. So for me it makes no difference if the movie is from the winning or losing sides perspective as long as it is well made. i just hope if for example americans are making a movie from the german or japanese point of view that it would tell a story similar to how those countries people might tell the story themselves, rather than the movie glorifying the US and belittling the other nation.

2. why did you say "if you are british or american" lets not forget that many other nations were affected by the pacific war. Australia, my country is never remembered for all the work they did and losses felt (more than 10% of that of US). England wasn't much good except for losing singapore to the Japanese. What about any members of this forum from asia who had their country invaded, are they not able to feel hatred?

As for an answer, what point is there to feeling anger at an entire nation of people? those who took part in that war are either dead or not far from it as they would be pretty old now. They have in reality no impact on the modern country of Japan and those growing up now are not responsible for the acts that took place. I would feel angry only to those who commanded the war not those who were slept under the propaganda etc

3. I saw it soon after it was released so i don't have a vivid memory of the movie but i don't remember there being any great bias and i feel the story was told well.

4. are you meaning equal feeling over both sides in the war? I think the movie is simply trying to tell things from a Japanese perspective, whether that makes people feel things are equal after watching the two movies is another thing. i think it is always important for any good story to have both sides, then you can find a middle ground to understand it all better.

5. these movies don't influence my view of war at all, perhaps they did when i was young but I'm unaware of that. no matter how terrible (not in quality) a war movie is i stand by the fact that i would go to war and fight if that is what it had come to.

6. I didn't really find the movie exciting, but i enjoyed just seeing the story told by Japanese with the polish of hollywood. Not many movies leave me wanting to watch them again, especially not action movies, and this is not one of them. It was enjoyable and i liked that they also showed Americans doing bad acts like killing prisoners.