View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Joly (Offline)
New to JF

03-18-2008, 02:36 AM

What a neat project! I loved this film...and am American, by the way.^^

1. I think it was about time for a sympathetic film from the Japanese perspective. When many veterans are still living, memories are still too painful for anything beyond Bridge on the River Kwai, for example. That war is history now; Japan is a close ally. It's good to look back with humility at what happened, from the perspective of both sides. That's why I think it works. People are most ready to sympathize when the hurt is (mostly) gone.

2. No, I do not feel hatred towards Japanese soldiers. My grandfather served on the Pacific side of things during that war and was very affected by it—he could never talk about it later because he’d break down in tears. And he wasn’t even on the ground, but worked on a ship. I just feel sad when I hear stories about the war. My family's really come full-circle: my grandfather spent his youth fighting the Japanese, now I spend mine learning the Japanese language out of love for the culture.^^

3. I think it was pretty balanced as far as showing both sides. The Japanese soldiers weren’t fanatical apes, but neither were they sainted heroes. They were just men (the film was kinda cliché that way but I loved it anyway:P). I was a bit shocked at the actions of the American soldiers toward the POW…the atrocities shown on the Japanese side all had cultural explanations (though not excuses), but killing someone who’s clearly surrendered is totally against every ideal of the West at war. Especially at that time in history. But on the whole, I think it was ok. It just showed that war can bring out either the very best or very worst in people, regardless of what side you’re on.

4. Not sure I understand the question…^^;

5. Sometimes, I think war movies influence what I think about war—they affect me emotionally much more than a history book does.^^ More than anything though, they show me what the current audience/public thinks about war (i.e., a war movie from the 50’s will have quite a different take on the subject than a modern one).

5. That the main character didn’t die.:P I really liked Ken Watanabe’s portrayal of General Kuribayashi…he was perfect for the role. Anyone wanting to know more of Kuribayashi (a truly great leader, I think) should read So Sad to Fall in Battle by Kakehashi Kumiko, a biography and run-down of the Battle of Iwo Jima gathered from Kuribayashi's letters.

Mono no aware
Murasaki iro no hana
Haru no hana
To fuyu no koyuki
Harahara