(#21 (permalink))
Old
EveV (Offline)
Flee from hate.

Send a message via MSN to EveV Send a message via Yahoo to EveV
03-18-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnell View Post
Insofar as a second Korean war is concerned, the reason we need to keep forces in Japan is because Kadena AFB in Okinawa would serve a logistics hub and stretegic launch point for US forces. We do have an air base in Seoul and several other South Korean cities, but most of these are equipped primarily with fighter/interceptor aircraft and ground forces. Kadena AFB is where our B-2's and other long range bombers--not to mention the C-130's that drop FOOD for refugees--take off from. Pulling out of Japan while North Korea and South Korea want (thier own form of) unification is a VERY bad idea.

Aside from all of that, the U.S. has major bases all around the world. Why? So that we can rapid-deploy our forces in the event of an emergency, i.e. it won't take thrity-six hours for our first brigade of Marines and their fighting vehicles to get to the problem area and deploy. Our stations in Japan are our Asia-Pacific hub. It isn't any different than us having bases in Germany or down in Africa or wherever (and no one's complained about that o_O ).
Haha << I was waiting for someone to post all the info I was to lazy to look up.

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan