Thread: Super sumo!
View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
Super sumo! - 02-13-2007, 03:03 PM

Since the fateful day i accidentally flipped to a sumo wrestling channel, my curiosity has been aroused regarding the sport and how it'd originated and why the Japanese indulge in it? Or even whether there is actually a hyfen inbetween..?

This is what i've dug up from the net but of course, i don't know for sure if it's a spoof or not, so i'll leave that up to you guys:
Sumo wrestling has ancient beginnings. The first documented account of a Sumo fight was written in 712 AD in the kojiki, which is an ancient book of records (Sharnoff 1). The story of Sumo began when two rival gods (Kyokai 2) decided to fight. Their names were Takemikazuchi and Takeminakata. These mythical beings fought along the Japan Sea. The gods fought in the Sumo wrestling style. Takemikazuchi killed Takeminakata, therefore winning the battle. Takemikazuchi later created a royal family. After this cave paintings were found that depicted Sumo wrestling as an ancient ceremony of farming to ask for good crops, however at this time Sumo wrestling was brutal and was often fought to the death (Sharnoff 1).

After this momentous fight, during the mid 600's Sumo became a common form of entertainment for the Imperial Court, or the Tenran-Zurno. This was during the reign of Empress Kogyoku. The reign of Emperor Shomu lasted from 724-749. Emperor Shomu drafted Sumotories, who were Sumo wrestlers, to perform at the sechie celebration. The event was held on the seventh day of the seventh lunar month. From 809-823 when Emperor Saga ruled, Sumo was made into a martial art. Throughout the rule of Oda Nobunga, which was from 1534 to 1582, rules were then established and the techniques were refined for the game. Also at this time 1,500 Sumo wrestlers had a gigantic tournament in the Imperial Palace. Since a tournament of this stature had never been held, the organizers of the fight did not know what to expect. No boundaries were built so many spectators were hurt. The next day however boundaries were made with rice packs. The rice bags were half buried in the ground. Thus the dohyo, or ring, became official. In the Edo period (r.1603-1867) special clothing was made especially for the wrestlers, rankings and status were established. Also a Sumo wrestler was automatically guaranteed a good living. (Sharnoff 1-2). Sumo wrestling was practiced differently over the years. Sumo wrestling has now not been modified very much for the present day.

Here's a sample picture

and a video taken from japanese cable ^_^ the fighting part comes at arnd 01:32

P.S. anyone know how they maintain their humongous size?

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.

Last edited by CoolNard : 02-13-2007 at 03:53 PM.