(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-17-2008, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
How long are you planning to keep him in normal Japanese schools? I've heard from other parents that it can be very difficult for mixed children as they get older due to bullying.

I'm somewhat curious, as I have to admit, I really don't plan on leaving Japan, and so it's not that unlikely that if I end up with a family, it'll probably be there. And I'm white as a sheet with green eyes and light brown hair...
We plan on keeping him in Japanese schools. I don`t see it as necessary to do otherwise.
While I have no doubt that there is some level of bullying based around appearances...... That isn`t exactly something limited to Japan or limited to being mixed.

I know of quite a few people who have their kids in international schools or who homeschool them... And not a single one of them does it for bullying reasons. They all say it`s either because they disagree with the way Japanese schools are run, the way Japanese people think, etc, and they want to keep their child out of that environment.... Or they plan on moving out of Japan and want to keep their child up to par with another country`s school system.
I`m quite happy with Japanese life, quite happy with the schooling (doubly so now that they`re removing the ridiculous yutori program) so it`s not an issue for us.

Either way though, racial bullying is going to be the last of our worries. My son has a brain injury, multiple health problems, a developmental disorder, and a projected adult height of less than 150cm.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.