View Single Post
(#38 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-17-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
That's strange... I can't say I've ever thought any less of someone that didn't use proper English or correct grammar.

I rarely ever write correctly on a forum. This is not due to the fact that I am illiterate, it is simply, laziness! English is my fourth language, therefore, even with my advanced/fluent level, I find it too much of a hassle to write using perfect English. The way I see it is; if you guys can understand me, then it’s enough. I am not writing anything formal, so, where is the need to make sure that every comma or capital letter etc is included?
On the other hand, I do understand your grievances when it involves people speaking in a language that cannot be called “English”, i.e. “i cnt w8 4 my bd”. “I can’t wait for my birthday”. If I’m honest though, I can’t say I’ve come across anyone that speaks in that manner on this forum. I’ve been able to understand everything people have said, on a grammatical level that is

EDIT: Can someone please explain what "A grammar Nazi" means exactly?
It's not necessarily about thinking "less" or "more" of a person, but I find it harder to take someone who write like "b4 i 8 XOXO" than someone who writes normally. Most of the time I assume they are a teenager, and usually that's that.

There are a few people whose spelling is so bad I sometimes can't understand what they are saying, but that also to do with the fact their thoughts are so fractured that I woudn't be able to understand it if it was spelled correctly.

Noodle, I have never thought anything negative about your spelling and grammar. I think you are actually one of the better users of English here.