Thread: Literacy
View Single Post
(#50 (permalink))
Old
Excessum (Offline)
Way too serious

Send a message via MSN to Excessum Send a message via Skype™ to Excessum
04-17-2008, 10:08 PM

I am a grammar Nazi when it comes to my native language... mostly due to my profession which requires me to use perfect grammar at all times. So it kind of grows into the bone, i guess. When i am writing in other languages, however, especially in informal atmosphere (e.g. internet forums), i am not as strict. Still, i do (try to) watch my spelling and punctuation, although i am too lazy to read through the whole post after i have finished typing, so there may be some mistakes here and there. So i guess that i go under the category "I try to use good grammar... usually".

One more thing... in my country, especially within the communities of people of my age and older (thus excluding the ignorant and undisciplined teenagers and alike), it is common to dispraise improper grammar, so it drives people to be more careful and think about the way they speak and write. We are thought that we show disrespect to our mother language by not learning how to use it properly, thus it is expected from us to know it in perfection. We are used to the idea that everyone must know their native language as good as we know ours and i have to admit that usage of false grammar may devastate my first impression of a person, if i know that i am speaking with him in his mother language.

Yet there seems to be even bigger problem that i have seen in a lot of places all over the internet. The people seem to have lost the ability to clearly express their thoughts, which i think is by far worse than bad grammar.
Chaotic sentence structures, illogical synonyms and often complete lack of any kind of any structure in texts often renders them abstruse and unreadable.