View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-02-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisthlin View Post
sweet! well id say that even if i will pass 3-4 days in toky im more interested in the scenic japan. Temples, shrines, gardens, great sightseeing, onsen, ryokan are things that suits my taste better. So your suggestions are great ! i will stay 8 - 9 days in Kyoto but will use my youth hostel there as a "command center" to see some of the cities around as well. It going to be my first trip in japan and my first trip as a backpacker so thats why i booked 8 days right away in a youth hostel at kyoto so i dont have to worry about having a bed waiting for me in the first week.

godwine, apart from 9 days in Kyoto ( i want to see a lots of whats there is to see in Kyoto and the surrounding ) i will be mobile. budget: well with my tickets, JRP, and 1000 $ for accomodations ( i calculated 30 canadian $ x 30 nights for good youth hostel room, i booked a full week splitted between K's house and J-hoppers both in kyoto and they were like 25$ a night both ) ill have something like 1700 remaining for sightseeing, activities and food. i have no idea if its enuff...it money i RLY worked hard for so i hope to make the best of it!

timelesssymphony, sure id like to ear about that ryokan ! ive been looking for a great one with good kaiseki.

EDIT: another quick question: ill be there for 30 days but the longest JRP is only 21 days. Should i consider buying a 7 days one on top of that ? if its possible

RE-EDIT: OMG ! i just found out about Yakushima by mere luck! I sure wanna go there as well now! Amazing !
If you want to visit scenic Japan with temples, you definitely should visit Koya-san. It is a huge group of over 100 temples on top of a mountain, and has the oldest and best cemetery in all of Japan. It is about 2 hours south of Osaka on the Nankai-Koya line, and I think you'd love it there! You can even stay in the temples overnight and eat the same food the priests do (which is vegetarian). Here's the official website: Official website of K

Here are some photos I took of Koya-san when I stayed in a temple there overnight:

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan