View Single Post
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-08-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akakage View Post
I agree (You weren't expecting that from me ). Whether you go to college or a trade school, you need to be marketable. As Napoleon Dynamite says "Chicks dig guys with skills". I was wondering if the moderator would be able to make this one a sticky. It could serve as a source of good information...maybe rename it to "What must a person do in order to realistically live in Japan" or something like that. We could compile all the information on exchange programs for schools, what would be the best subject to major in while in college if one wants to go to Japan. If college is not an option, what skills or trades are in demand in Japan, how much experience is needed for those trades, etc. Just an idea.

A question about degrees, does anyone know Japan's policy on distance degrees? I know Taiwan doesn't see them as valid. Is Japan the same? If Japan accepts them I think that would be a great alternative to those who cannot enroll in a college full time but still want a degree to go Japan.
Is that like correspondence school? My initial feeling would be "not too highly" but that is probably true in the US, as well.

Having worked for Japanese employers on hiring teams, the first thing the Japanese boss asks about an applicant is "What's his degree?" (Rarely "What's his major?") and the second is "Where did he go to school?"

90% of the boss's decision to hire or not is based on these two questions.